Thursday, December 2, 2010

Yay a Cloth Diaper Update!

So finally got things somewhat organized after all that turkey and pie. My mother also sends back like a agillion boxes of stuff for the kids when we go to visit her so I had to find a place for that, but now I'm back. She also sent me home with this wonderful antique sewing machine...which I think is really cool and it has nothing to do with this post but I just this its great. Anyway... I said I would do a update to share my traveling experience with cloth diapers so here it is yay!

So our drive was four hours give or take so what I did is packed about 12 changes worth of prefolds, gdiapers, bum genius, etc. and stuck them in my "go bag" (thats what I call it) and threw those in my diaper bag. I premade all the diapers, so I had my gdiapers already filled so all I had to do was slip them on, same with the Bum Genius's. With the prefolds, I added my extra "padding" in them, and stuck them inside a cover, so all I would have to do is take them out and slip them on him and there we go. It wasn't actually as hard as I thought it would be... I put him in a Bum G. to begin the trip that I had extra stuffed so it would be more absorbent. So we drove for about two hours before we had stopped, at which time I changed him into prefold/cover and just threw the wet Bum G. in my wet bag and we were go to go again. And he was good until we got to my mom's. He probably coulda been ok with just one diaper the whole way, but I don't like to take chances so I just went ahead and changed him. It actually wasn't anymore work then a disposable except I don't really know what you would do if the place/person's house your staying at does not have a washer/dryer. My mom does, so when I got to her house I just threw my wet bag contents in her washer and there yah go. Sooo I had a great first traveling experience. The gdiapers were great for during the day while we were there because I just kept a few liners ready for them to be changed out, and at night I'd just use a prefold/cover or Bum Genius. Actually my main concern the entire trip was if Luke would sleep in a playpen or not because he is usually really picky about sleeping. Usually he'll only nap/sleep in his crib, in our house. But it was like he knew he was on a vacation because he didn't give me any trouble, he laid down with his dog and his Pal Scout playing his bedtime music and he was fine.

Yup! So now that I've gotten that experience out of the way I would totally do it again. Sorry if my grammar is blah in this post, Luke's on my lap hitting keys so I'm trying to make this a quick post. I'm going to attempt to make a home made pull up later. I'll post a How To on that if it turns out the way I'd like it. I also have some cotton inserts to make, and a bunch of other projects I'd like to try. But anyway, hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! TTFN!

0 comments: