Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A constructive evaluation

What makes some people better then others. I was once naive enough to believe that you could just be a right and just person and the world would open up its arms with possibilities. My delusional thoughts were impaired by my sheltered surroundings. I'd like to say I moved out and into reality and my eyes opened to the realization that all my loyalty and good intentions would get me no where. If anything my honesty was seen as weakness, my kindness a opportunity for others to use it to their advantage. Being a "decent" person proved to be worthless in the real world. So I wiped off the shoe marks from on top of my head and recreated a version of myself that would provide a armor for the selfish world that surrounds me. This armor didn't care if someone was having a rough day and wouldn't serve any help, nor compassion for others. Soon, I don't recall the exact moment, it went from being a shell to completely running me over. I lost good people in my life and didn't care because my new mind whispered in my ears. Why should I care if old acquaintances didn't care enough to reach out and speak to me. From time to time I have moments of my old self and a compassion I once had for others, I quickly wipe it away. People are so inconsiderate of others. Unwilling to look up from their phone for five minutes to drive a car, or convey any respect for the others around them. To involved with whats going to further themselves, or pro-trey them as better than anothers. What happen to someone holding a door open, or waving as they walk in front of the car you just halted for them to pass. What happen to stopping to help someone on the side of the road. It got lost somewhere between the inter-web and the iphone. Common courtesy got lost with the invention of the automated answering service. And somewhere in all of that the world lost it's way. I can place the blame anywhere I'd like. Or perhaps the world has always been in this state, and I'm finally using my vision for the first time. I'm left with a uncertainty of where I go from here, and a fear that my children will have to go out into this world. How can I prepare them for the coldness of reality and not compromise their morality. How can I simultaneously teach them to be a fair person while installing self preservation within them. I'm in fear of where society as a whole will travel from here. Where does god ring into all of this mess? Why is it the good are not "lucky" enough to move ahead while the evil and corrupt are glorified for their actions? Where did we go so wrong that our own family will steal and cover up their lies with a smile. I've decided that some are better then others, just not as lucky.

0 comments: